Saturday, April 20, 2013

Solamente en Cerro Punta






So I had my first interview no-show this morning. I guess that was bound to happen. But at least I used my time "productively" to write down some Cerro Punta anecdotes to share with you all. 

First of all, every food here is "en estilo cerropunteño” which basically means add carrots, onions, celery, red peppers, and cheese. So far I've had cerropunteño pizza, eggs, and tacos and I'm loving it! Here are some more cerropunteño-isms that I hope you'll enjoy.





Conversations with a goat:
Don Roger: ¡Ruperto!
Ruperto: ¡Maaa!
Don Roger: ¿Qué pasó?
Ruperto: ¡Maaa!
Don Roger: ¿Cómo estas?
Ruperto: ¡Maaa!
Don Roger: ¡Vengo!
Ruperto: ¡Maaa!
Don Roger: ¡Tranquilo, me voy!
Ruperto: ¡Maaa!

Don Roger’s vendetta against moscas:
Whether it’s in the middle of dinner, a meeting with GORACE, or a TV show, Don Roger is always on the lookout for flies. He’ll be sitting peacefully, then suddenly he’ll notice a fly out of the corner of his eye. His face falls serious and concentrated. He cocks his head to one side while his hand hovers until, SMACK! Then his beaming face will look at me, and he smiles as he confirms, “Lo maté.”



Coffee:
It is acceptable to drink coffee at any time. Coffee in Cerro Punta is like Windex in My Big Fat Greek Wedding – it solves everything. Breakfast of course needs coffee. Then that part of the mid-morning where you start to fee restless: coffee. If it rains: coffee. If it doesn’t  rain: coffee. If lunch is just not ready yet: coffee. If lunch is over: coffee. If you arrived early to a meeting: coffee. If you are in the middle of a meeting: coffee. If you are going to take a nap: coffee. If you just woke up from a nap: coffee. The pervasiveness of that little bean is incredible.

1 comment: