Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Organic Farming Travels



I can’t believe I only have two days left here in Cerro Punta! My time here has been incredible – everyone has opened their homes, farms, and hearts to welcome me and I will miss it dearly. I have learned so much from the determined pioneers of organic farming here. I am inspired to project the same level of dedication to organic gardening in my own life. Since I have a 25 + page final paper and presentation to work on, this blog will be short. Sadly, good-old Cerro Punta internet won't let me load any photos so just try to picture gorgeous organic farm scenery while you read this and I'll try to add photos later.

Los Quetzales Hotel, Guadalupe
In short, I’d love to vacation at this nearly self-sustainable hotel and spa with its own organic gardens. The owner kept handing me different fruits, edible flowers, and veggies to taste throughout the tour – even diving over bushes to reach them

Santa Clara
I interviewed three different farmers here and stayed with an adorable couple. They helped me practice pronouncing my “erre” in Spanish with tongue-twisters, and I also got to eat organic “budines de guineo” (banana muffins).

Finca La Victoria
This is the farm that Don Roger, my host dad, works on and is owned by GORACE as a group. Its way way up at the top of the mountains and thankfully we got a ride from his neighbor. The ride was much appreciated as the roads were “muy muy feo.”  I was challenged to a discussion about gay rights in Spanish by the neighbor, which made me practice my Spanish. In the end we came to a respectful truce and I earned the complement, “El mundo entero es una belleza, especialmente con mujeres lindas como Ud.”

Seeing Finca La Victoria I was endlessly amazed and impressed by the legacy left by Don Roger and all of his wisdom about organic farming. Even though the farm was in “una descansa” I could feel the tranquility and wholesomeness of the place and all the delicious produce that it had grown. I also got some amazing photos of Don Roger, which I am excited to send to him. This man is the gentlest, wisest, and most dedicated person I’ve met in Panama, and his sense of humor always keeps me smiling.

Ganados y Vistas
I traveled to a farm seeking certification and saw a newborn calf (truly a miracle because when we arrived it was merely a hoof sticking out if it’s mother and the farmer had to help it turn around so that she could give birth), and an incredible view of Cerro Punta, as well as a pretty gnarly hollow tree!

Refugio del Sol
Emelia is the woman I aspire to be at 70. She speaks fluent English and Spanish, has her own organic garden with a small business selling to locals, adopted an adorable abandoned puppy, and has a fire-y yet nurturing personality. Some of my favorite quotes from her include: “That was 50 years ago, girl!” and “Cada persona falta un tornillo.”

Dominos
This weekend I finally got the opportunity to play "dominos decimales" with Don Roger and it is really tricky. He says I’m learning, and that’s a kind exaggeration, but it’s very fun and I can’t wait to teach everyone at home.  I am also learning a bunch of “recetas en estilo cerropunteño y panameño” (recipies) to attempt to replicate at home.

Las Nubes
In this tiny community every knew each other and I was overwhelmed by the warm welcome I receieved as a complete stranger. I finally got to see Parque Internacional La Amistad and some gorgeous organic farmland. Lunch included a head of lettuce just minutes after being plucked out of the ground.

Arco Iris
In the middle of last week, after a stressful meeting in which I learned I had a lot more work to do, suddenly a perfect rainbow appeared in the sky. I took a million pictures, but none of them captured the magic of that moment. A full arc of neatly arranged colors was hovering gently over Cerro Punta. I felt like a giddy child, unable to contain my smile as I walked back home with Don Roger, who was thoroughly amused by my amazement.

It has been a blessing to have the chance to live here for a few weeks. I will miss the gorgeous views and everyone here. A piece of my heart will always remain in the misty mountains of Cerro Punta.

No comments:

Post a Comment