Wednesday, February 27, 2013

El tiempo pasa volando...



Woke up with this little guy in my room today. Nothing's better than a good-morning gecko!

I can’t believe my time living in Panama City has gone by so quickly! Last Friday our Spanish class went to the local markets, Salsipuedes and Caladonia, and it was fun to see all of the different things for sale in such a small space: medicinal plants, secondhand books, clothing, pollera (the traditional dresses and jewelry for celebrations), and lots of artisan crafts! 


Then we went to the meat market (I couldn’t stand the smell), the vegetable and fruit market (I bought a passion fruit that was incredible and also tried some fresh beet-orange juice), and the fish market (where I tried seviche de camarones, which is now my favorite Panamanian dish so far). 




On Saturday we woke up very early to go to La Campana National Park. Despite it being super early, that was my favorite excursion so far. We learned so much just by walking through one trail of the park – every minute our professor would find something new that was worthy of explanation. We saw invasive grasses, native mosses, leaf-cutter ants, blue-colored plants…the forest was abundant with life if you just knew where to look for it. 










We noticed a huge leaf-cutter ant and everyone took turns trying to pick it up with a stick. Then our professor told us that it was probably infested with the larvae of a fly that was slowly killing it. Its head was very swollen and our professor explained that flies often hover over the line of leaf-cutter ants as they work in order to lay eggs in the back of their necks. Then the larvae grow, feeding off the ant, until they burst out and kill it. I had heard about such relationships before, but it was both cool and unsettling to see it firsthand. I felt a little sorry for the ant.




 Then we got some basic tools and were left to our own devices to measure the abundance and percentage of canopy cover in places closer and further from the man-made trail. I have never been so completely surrounded by tropical forest before and it was hard to move through it at first, but by the end I was having a blast. It was really satisfying to go into a national park and collect data on our own (and to put my biostatistics skills to good use to analyze them). I’m looking forward to more of that when we leave the city. We also found these ruins from old homes in the park and it was incredible to see how nature was slowly re-taking them.




It’s funny how last week I was so eager to leave the dirty, crowded city, but now after living here for a week, I don’t want to leave. Saturday night I went to the Festival Verde de Cultura Musical (The Green Festival of Music Culture) and it was incredible! All of the decorations were made from recycled materials – even the seats were crushed tin-can cubes! 


 They had soy candles, jewelry made from tin can tops, sculptures made from scrap metal, and an urban gardening table giving away seed bombs!




 We arrived in time to hear the last two bands perform, Astro (a Chilean electronic rock band) and Café Tacuba (a Mexican rock band). The two coolest parts were Astro’s spontaneous drum solo and the main singer of Café Tacuba’s hair.






On Sunday we went to Palmar Beach in the interior with a few Panamanian students from la Universidad Tecnologica de Panamá and it was great practice to talk with them in Spanish. The beach was beautiful and I loved the black sand!




This week is completely filled with homework and projects before we leave the city on Monday. It is crazy how time has flown. I’m missing my homestay family already just thinking about leaving soon. Today all of Panama City lost electricity for most of the afternoon, something that has basically never happened before, and it was a great reason to talk with my host parents when I returned from class, since there was no television or internet to distract us. They are so sweet and caring and I hope I can adequately thank them at the end of this week for all they have done to make me feel at home here.

No comments:

Post a Comment